Machine Builders Network

Video Update
Slide Show
Who's Online
0 registered (), 5 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
930dreamer, b4autodark, Dwayne Oxford, Jimyd, Tigerfab
2347 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2347 Members
21 Forums
1000 Topics
17380 Posts

Max Online: 64 @ 09/04/14 12:00 AM
(Views)Popular Topics
Articulating Tractor/FEL - From Scratch 1661812
THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) 739329
trailer tounge help 576273
Tracked Backhoe 364146
Look what followed me home!!!! 320838
Shop modifications 312302
Hendey Lathe rebuild 307167
what odd jobs did you do today? 279980
andre's tractor build 240060
backhoe plans 229116
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Bug Reports
Top Posters
tom 1601
Doc 1156
Lu47Dan 1108
bunkclimber 1087
mdlawnguy 860
Business Links
Home
Enco Site Site
Ebay Site
McMaster Site
Grizzly Site
Surplus Center Site
The Farm Show
Metal Supermarket Site
Friends of MBN
tractorbynet.com Site
Miller Welding Projects Site
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1086 - 07/18/10 02:16 PM homemade sawmill video
Sawfish Offline
New in town
Loc: East Central Mississippi
Here is the most recent video with improvements.

The mill has 18 hp vtwin briggs. A 48 inch diameter log will fit on the mill no problem. I have not put one on there yet.
I have cut many smaller logs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8NqF0qbljE
thanks,
Fish
#1093 - 07/18/10 06:04 PM Re: homemade sawmill video [Re: Sawfish]
Maurice Offline
MBN member
Loc: Franklin, Indiana, USA
impressive build! I can see why you would want to add an automated feed! I got a bit nervous watching you step over the cross beams to move the saw forward and back!
#1095 - 07/18/10 09:00 PM Re: homemade sawmill video [Re: Maurice]
Sawfish Offline
New in town
Yes, I have caught some flack about stepping over bunks. I am actually about four feet behind the blade. But it is a heavy joker to push. I estimate the sawhead alone to weigh in the neighborhood of 1000 lbs. I have spent a day going back and forth on it. It's a workout.

Thanks for the complement,
Fish
#1096 - 07/18/10 09:04 PM Re: homemade sawmill video [Re: Maurice]
Gator Offline
MBN Enthusiast
Loc: Corinth, MS *****
Looks like a good running saw, but there has to be a better way to move it. If you tripped your toes could go pretty fast.

http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/

Please come over to the new website as this one is no longer supported. We are under construction but it's being managed and slowly improving.

If you subscribed to Machine Builders FB Page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1153014311474457/
#1108 - 07/20/10 05:10 AM Re: homemade sawmill video [Re: Gator]
terry Offline
MBN Enthusiast
Loc: Landrum,SC ****
At least put a plank or two on there to walk on.....love the saw though. Sure would like to make one someday.
T
#1109 - 07/20/10 08:32 AM Re: homemade sawmill video [Re: terry]
kcshawman Offline
MBN member
Loc: Kansas, Olathe
A small Hydro-gear piston pump (used in Z-turn lawn mowers) would make a good back and forth drive for hydraulic motor. A flat belt should move it.
#1128 - 07/21/10 12:04 PM Re: homemade sawmill video [Re: kcshawman]
kakkeef2 Offline
New in town
My late uncle-in-law had a homemade saw mill. He used a tranny out of an old lawn mower for the feed system. Used the forward gears for different feed speeds and reverse for bringing it back.
Awesome build by the way. Thanks for sharing.

Edited by kakkeef2 (07/21/10 12:10 PM)
#1144 - 07/23/10 01:03 AM Re: homemade sawmill video [Re: Maurice]
Sawfish Offline
New in town
Yes, I have caught some flack about stepping over bunks. I am actually about four feet behind the blade. But it is a heavy joker to push. I estimate the sawhead alone to weigh in the neighborhood of 1000 lbs. I have spent a day going back and forth on it. It's a workout.

Thanks for the complement,
Fish
#1148 - 07/23/10 05:41 PM Re: homemade sawmill video [Re: Sawfish]
Lu47Dan Offline
MBN Old hand
Loc: N/W Pa. ****
Fish, nice mill and it looks like it works well, but I have to go with the rest of the group in saying you need another way to move the saw's head.
All the band mills I have seen are pushed forward from outside the frame. I set a friends mill up to be pushed down an 1/8" per foot slope, it really increased his use of the mill. When he is done with the cut he moves the board out of the way and pulls the head back up to the start position with an old ATV winch he picked up at yard sale. There is a clamp he engages then he turns on the winch, the clamp hold on to the cable, pulling the head back up to the start position. The cable is wrapped around the winches drum four times and is spliced together by weaving the strands into each other at the ends.
Dan.
#1149 - 07/23/10 06:41 PM Re: homemade sawmill video [Re: Lu47Dan]
Sawfish Offline
New in town
Dan,
Thanks, I like your idea. Since my sawhead is so heavy, I had a slightly different idea. I would love to hear what you and the others think. How about firmly mounting a four wheeler type winch to the sawhead. Then wrap a cable around the winch drum a few times (any recommendations on this would be great). Then firmly connect the ends of the cable to stationary points on each end of the mill, with maybe a turnbuckle on the ends as well. The winch has forward and reverse to move the head with a wired control. Do you think this will work? Would a 12 v winch hold up?
Thanks,
Fish
#1241 - 07/28/10 02:02 AM Re: homemade sawmill video [Re: Sawfish]
Sawfish Offline
New in town
Guess no one likes my winch idea. How about one of those 110V HF overhead lift winches with a sprocket and chain? The mill will always be stationary. Does anyone think it will work? I am trying to keep it simple.
Thanks for any advice.
Fish

Edited by Sawfish (07/28/10 02:10 AM)
#1243 - 07/28/10 02:23 AM Re: homemade sawmill video [Re: Sawfish]
Doc Offline
MBN Old hand
Loc: Beryl Jnct. SW Utah, Mdl Nowhe... ***
Sawfish: Don't get discouraged if nobody here answers you back right away. It doesn't mean nobody likes an idea, just that nobody has answered for a particular time. The guys on this board come and go all the time and are generally pretty busy most the time dealing with either work, family or their own projects. I imagine quite a few of them find it hard to stel a few minutes time to log on here, or even do much web surfing at all.
That all said, I liked your idea and may eventually use a scaled down version of such a thing on a chainsaw mill I built several years ago but haven't had much opportunity to use as yet.
As to your mill, I can't really comment as I don't run flash on my machine, so videos are pretty much out.
Best of luck to you, and again, don't get discouraged if no one answers you back right away on something.
Heck, I go away for several weeks at a time and nobody seems to notice at all. But I don't let such things worry me.... though perhaps I should. wink
Doc
#1244 - 07/28/10 03:21 AM Re: homemade sawmill video [Re: Doc]
ktmtragic Offline
MBN member
Loc: Sydney Australia
I Like the winch idea it's simple! That system is used in heaps of applications. The only problem you may have is controlling the feed speed when cutting.
ktmtragic
#1250 - 07/28/10 06:24 AM Re: homemade sawmill video [Re: ktmtragic]
kcshawman Offline
MBN member
Loc: Kansas, Olathe
The saw mill my dad had when I was in high school used the cable method. It had a disk (dome shaped) and a rubberized wheel that moved in and out for speed change. It was a mess to keep working sometimes. That hydro-gear and hydrualic motor that I mentioned earlier still looks like the best way to go to me. You want to be able to return at a fast speed. A slow return will drive you nuts. You could even set it up to return automatic with a lever to kick it off when done. To minimize hard stopping on the hydraulic system relief valves could be used or use the rubber belt to drive it with that has built in slippage. Run this all off the existing engine no other power needed. I just envisioned the hydro-gear pump being driven off one tire with a rubber wheel of some kind. Belt driven from engine would be simpler of course. Hydro-gear pumps have infinite control forward and reverse. You could have stops set up on the lever to control forward and reverse speeds. Use 15-50 Mobile 1 in the system. Small tank is all that is needed with automotive oil filter of your choice. Need to find a long belt of some kind to run the carriage. Steel cable as per winch idea should work too. Maybe a huge spring between belt and carriage to dampen the sudden stops on the hydraulic system. There are other flow controllers that could be used with everyday hydraulic pumps. More controls and pumbing will be needed however.
#1261 - 07/28/10 07:18 PM Re: homemade sawmill video [Re: kcshawman]
Sawfish Offline
New in town
Doc, KTM and Clint,

Thanks for the replies. I understand folks are busy with other things. I would go hydro gear pump but don't have funds or salvage source for it now. I have the 12 v winch and 120v volt winch. The old cable system with disc and rubber wheel is beyond my skills now. Thanks for the ideas.
Fish
#1264 - 07/28/10 07:45 PM Re: homemade sawmill video [Re: Sawfish]
terry Offline
MBN Enthusiast
Loc: Landrum,SC ****
Could you attach the cable to both ends, wrap it around a drum on the carrage and hand crank it? You could go as slow as needed for feed and crank it back as fast as your arm would allow.
T
#1266 - 07/28/10 11:30 PM Re: homemade sawmill video [Re: terry]
Doc Offline
MBN Old hand
Loc: Beryl Jnct. SW Utah, Mdl Nowhe... ***
As a cheap speed controller for the 12v winch, you might look at the electric scooter PWM controllers. I picked up a 1hp controller for about $25 at tnc scooters. They also have the hall effect twist grip speed control for about $5 ea. Add a big DPDT switch for reverse and that would give you twist grip speed control with down to crawl speed forward and full speed return. As a hint, you can drive the 12v motor with more than 12v, just keep an eye on how hot it gets. If you go that path, watch your grounds. If it's not an active feed out model it may have a case ground you'd have to isolate for reverse. Just a thought.
Doc
Oops, just looked and prices have gone up some... but still quite reasonable for a good DC PWM controller.

Edited by Doc (07/28/10 11:35 PM)

Time
Donor Recognition 2010
Recent Posts
Mill Drill repair
by Lincoln
09:17 AM
m715 rebuild
by tom
07:09 PM
I couldn't pass it up
by GLyford