I still have some plate left so I cut a couple of pieces with the bandsaw and cleaned up the cut with a mill.
I will wait until the subframe is farther along before I weld these plate on. This piece is getting heavy.
Continuing with the subframe I welded in more bracing at the front and cut out the piece of DOM tubing. The brace with the hole in it is to allow access to the pin for the slew cylinder.
The whole thing will get a boost in rigidity when the side of the winch and those brace plates are welded on.
My welding is getting better.
Here it is with the pins in at the forward pivots. I will weld those lugs on soon. Then I can start welding the winch to the frame.
I will mount one of the hydraulic manifolds on each side of the winch on brackets made from 2" x 2" angle at about the same angle as the outside of the brace plates.
While the welds were cooling I was also trying to mount the blade frame.
Here is a side view through the tracks.
It was a bit of a wrestling match at times and I had to put in a shim but it finally went together.
I guess I have to paint the transmission.
There is more framing to come. Something down from above to the bolt holes (you can see one). If I ever need to service the gearbox (brakes, clutch ETC) I need to be able to remove this frame. You can see where the strut shadows one of the transmission bolts. The brakes are the other side of that bolt.
I decided to hang the blade strut on to see how it looked. The pins went right in and it pivots smoothly. The top of the cylinder will go into the cutout in the DOM tube the strap runs over at the top. Again I will leave it as one piece until all the local structural welding is done. This seems to be working well at maintaining alignment.
I use the ratchet wrench to turn the gearbox and move the machine around. The small pulley there is an auxiliary output. The input pulley is larger and is on the other side of the transmission.
Tomorrow it is back in the garage and off with the engine so I can weld framing in near the engine.