Machine Builders Network

Video Update
Slide Show
Who's Online
0 registered (), 5 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
930dreamer, b4autodark, Dwayne Oxford, Jimyd, Tigerfab
2347 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2347 Members
21 Forums
1000 Topics
17380 Posts

Max Online: 64 @ 09/04/14 12:00 AM
(Views)Popular Topics
Articulating Tractor/FEL - From Scratch 1661812
THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) 739329
trailer tounge help 576273
Tracked Backhoe 364146
Look what followed me home!!!! 320838
Shop modifications 312302
Hendey Lathe rebuild 307167
what odd jobs did you do today? 279980
andre's tractor build 240060
backhoe plans 229116
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Bug Reports
Top Posters
tom 1601
Doc 1156
Lu47Dan 1108
bunkclimber 1087
mdlawnguy 860
Business Links
Home
Enco Site Site
Ebay Site
McMaster Site
Grizzly Site
Surplus Center Site
The Farm Show
Metal Supermarket Site
Friends of MBN
tractorbynet.com Site
Miller Welding Projects Site
Page 19 of 22 < 1 2 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#12856 - 12/29/13 11:59 AM Re: THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) [Re: jeapadrenaline]
JimC Offline
MBN Enthusiast
Loc: Virginia U.S.A.
Jeap,
One of my early creations had a reduction from the tranny directly to the diff. I never experienced any issues on either shaft. It was a chevett tranny to a toyota diff. I was running a 11-1 ratio to slow it down enough. Looks to me like you have it covered with the support bearing.
it was before digital so I don't have any pictures of the set up. just one sad poloriod of the creation if I can find it.
#12858 - 12/29/13 07:51 PM Re: THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) [Re: JimC]
poleframer Offline
MBN member
Loc: Cave Junction OR
Jeap, it's been a real pleasure to read this thread. You show great tenacity in your build, even making temporary (chain drive) fixes to a machine you know will go further (hydrostatic)
Your tarp shop brought back a lot of memories of my first few years at my place, it took me 15 years to go from a tarp shop to one with walls and doors.
Stick with it, yer doing great!
#12859 - 12/29/13 07:53 PM Re: THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) [Re: JimC]
jeapadrenaline Offline
MBN member
Loc: bc, canada
some pics of last two days progress.
gear reduction is enclosed now, and cab is hinged at the front. so far its tilting it up by hand, but its very heavy.
also have the heater installed, but no coolant lines nor electrical hooked up yet.
the machine is quite a bit slower now, but i couldnt go play around in it, turns out the engine decided to quit running as smooth as it used to run. was acting up as i drove her into the shop a few days back, now she wont stay running at idle. i think i'll have to take the carb off and clean it out, maybe the idle circuits are plugged up with crud. filter should have taken care of the crud from the tank, but maybe something got past it.
guess i'll find out wednesday, my next day off.

#12873 - 12/30/13 08:05 PM Re: THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) [Re: jeapadrenaline]
jeapadrenaline Offline
MBN member
well, afer work i decided to look at the beast. did realy not want to pull the carb off, since two of the four nuts are near impossible to get at. decided instead to take a chance on carb gaskets and such, so i took the fuel line off the carb and proceeded to take an air hose to it with about 50psi. well it did the job, whatever was plugged up (idle circuit) is now open and she runs and idles just fine

so then i couldnt help myself, but had to take her for a spin in the yard, even though it was dark out.
yayyy she is a lot slower. crawls in first right from idle, no more stalling. i think 3rd gear is now almost as fast as first used to be. perfect.
BUT.... HOLY CRAP is the chain reduction unit ever noisy. need to invest in hearing protectors if i want to run it for more than a couple minutes at a time. but i am not complaining, i achieved what i aimed for.
next stage, plumb and wire up heater, and order the rest of the windows and install them.
then i just might want to install some sort of hydro power and see if i can powe the snowblower attachment which i picked up during summer. was originally belt drive, hydro may be the way to go.... but maybe not this winter, not sure yet. depends if perhaps i can go pick up the front end loader which i reserved for the beast then maybe i'll fit it on first.
anyways.... laters guys. may get a video by new years.
#12875 - 12/30/13 09:09 PM Re: THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) [Re: jeapadrenaline]
Lincoln Offline
MBN Enthusiast
Loc: Parry Sound Ontario Canada *****
Congrats on success with the beast Jeap! smile
#12889 - 01/01/14 02:01 PM Re: THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) [Re: Lincoln]
jeapadrenaline Offline
MBN member
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL, MAY 2014 BE A GOOD ONE.

so i took another short video. the first two vids where all driven in first gear only.
this vid is in first gear. as i come into the picture i stop, then start out at idle(800rpm) for a few feet. at some point of the video i reach around 5000rpm and just before leaving the screen at the end i grab second gear for the length of the vehicle, then back to first as i drive out of the pic.
found another problem on the design.... the outboard bakes build up with snow and get sticky when the weather is as warm as its been today, just above freezing, so snow is wet and melting and packs in real good. another reason to eventually go hydrostatic drive.

#12890 - 01/01/14 05:04 PM Re: THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) [Re: jeapadrenaline]
JimC Offline
MBN Enthusiast
Loc: Virginia U.S.A.
Can't you put some thing over the cover to absorb some of the noise? like the stuff they put on automobile floorboards. like this stuff on JC Whitney or summit?
http://www.jcwhitney.com/hushmat-universal-sound-dampening-material/p3055989.jcwx?filterid=b2417u0j1
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-879014?seid=srese1&gclid=CP2jxZ6Y3rsCFeZ7Qgod3k4Aew
#12891 - 01/02/14 05:23 PM Re: THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) [Re: JimC]
mdlawnguy Offline
MBN Enthusiast
Loc: maryland *****
Do you have a filter in the fuel system? Put a see through one on. Then you can get a regular filter in the system.
How are you holding the hinge pins?
Good job..
#12892 - 01/02/14 06:18 PM Re: THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) [Re: mdlawnguy]
jeapadrenaline Offline
MBN member
hey guys, another long day spent in he shop, bu hardly anything visible, although lots accomplished. i am sure you all know how much time some small stuff can take.
anyways, chains got tightened up a bunch, as the fist few drives did loosen them up. also installed heater hoses and got heater wired up.
as for the cab hinges, the pins are in pretty secure, good enough for now. later i will put some implement hairpins in them to keep them in place just in case. also got a jacking system in place for the cab now. its not perfect, but it works. i used a scissor jack from an older import car, but instead of the handle i welded a large nut on there and use an impact to drive it up or down. first few inches of lift the impact wont drive it without a bit of lifting help on the rear cab corner, and when letting it down, you gotta go slow with the impact due to the amount of play in the jack. but all the way down, it actually secures the cab in place and actually sucks it down just a bit.
for sound dampening, these mats had crossed my mind, but not until after paint and everything is finished, but thanks for the links.
the fuel system does have a see through filter inline and also the filter in te carb. the inline filter was kinda dirty, which i expected, since i couldnt really clean the tank out too well and had a bunch of metal filings in it. i now also instlled a super strong magnet at the bottom of the tank, to hold some of hese filings. the filter a the carb was actually clean, so not sure what plugged up the idle jet in there.
gotta go to work tomorrow, then i get 2 more days off. time to install a bunch of lights on the machine.
the forward lights will both be dual 55 watt bulb lights (had them on my highway truck as driving lights) the rear lights will be a set of automotive fog/driving lights, i think 55 wats each. i also have 8 LED amber marker lights (also off the highway rig) brand new still in package. thinking of putting 4each facing forward and backward on the cab and on the back above the engine fan i think i'll install two red round LEDs as tail lights. may hook the 4 amber corner lights on a seperate circuit with a flasher.
all the lights are probably overkill, but i figure i got them, might as well deck the machine out. i'll probably end up installing more later on, i love light.
#12893 - 01/02/14 08:36 PM Re: THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) [Re: jeapadrenaline]
Doc Offline
MBN Old hand
Loc: Beryl Jnct. SW Utah, Mdl Nowhe... ***
Yo Jeapster:
Now that you are getting the mechanics fairly squared away, may I suggest you start assembling a cold weather survival kit. Having spent a fair amount of time in various snowcats being ferried to and from mountain top transmitter facilities, I might suggest the following perhaps less obvious items;

1. A high density roll up camping pad. Purpose; much nicer to kneel / lay upon than snow if you have to work on tracks excetera.

2. A couple of self-igniting highway flares. Purpose; Starting fires with wet wood if you get stuck in some remote area.

3. A toy whistle and a small vanity mirror. Purpose; both for signaling. Cyalume light sticks and definately a flashlight.

4. A small roll or big handfull of large trash or leaf bags, a length of survey nylon string or twine or several packs of boot laces. Purpose; keeping shoes / pants legs dry if you have to slog out through deep snow. Twist a bag over each leg and secure with string or laces.

5. A couple of alluminized mylar space blankets and a handful (a box) of slow rust hand warmer packages. Purpose; Uh, duh. But all kidding aside, a small investment to avoid hypothermia. While not quite as effective as the initial hype about them, space blankets will offer some relief from the cold, but perhaps as important; they are RADAR reflective.

6. A stack of 12"x 12" thick felt pads. Two for each driver or passenger. Purpose; Foot Mucklucks used in conjunction with trash bags. Wrap a pad around each foot and secure with string or laces before adding trash bags to outside. Might prevent frost bite, even if you stay put and just wait for resue.

7. A track repair kit consisting of some belt -track- lengths, bolts, a hand opperated drill and several bits and a big wingnut driven belt cincher. The cincher is a metal hook frame that will hook over a track cleat on each end with a piece of allthread running between two end pieces. Spinning the wingnut draws broken belts tight together so you can splice in the belt sections with your drill and bolts. The big wingnut can be opperated without removing gloves.

8. A suitable tool kit. Buy a cheap socket set. Screwdrivers, Utility knife with extra blades. A small hack saw. A small Crescent wrench. Maybe a cheap set of box or open end wrenches. Some five minute epoxy. A roll of duct tape and some bailing wire. Slip joint pliers with wire cutters.

All the above can be stuffed into a canvas duffel that lives behind your seat or some such place. It should ALWAYS be with you.

Perhaps most important is to TELL SOMEBODY where you expect to be using your machine and what time you expect to get back.

Perhaps presumptuous of me to offer said advice, but as I said I have spent quite a few hours in snowcats in remote high mountain -serious cold- locations.

Doc

Edited by Doc (01/02/14 08:44 PM)
Edit Reason: Add a few items.
#12895 - 01/02/14 09:16 PM Re: THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) [Re: Doc]
jeapadrenaline Offline
MBN member
doc, those are a lot of good sugestions and all essential for survival. i am a bit of a survivalist/bushcrafter/prepper, and allways have a bunch of those essentials with me hen i leave the farm yard. even in my truck, going to town. but never the less, there are a few items you listed that i never even thought of.
on the other hand, i do not feel anywhere near ready, nor do i trust the dependability of my creation to go further than around the farm yard and down the driveway (less than 1/4 mile from the shop.

and here are a couple pics of the cab with heater and lift installed. heater is a nippodenso with a 2 speed fan, no idea what it came out off. found it at a scrap yard i was helping clean, was free.

#12899 - 01/03/14 06:41 PM Re: THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) [Re: jeapadrenaline]
terry Offline
MBN Enthusiast
Loc: Landrum,SC ****
Heater looks like an old Datsun truck unit. If so, it will transfer a lot of heat and keep you toasty! Sure is looking good though, keep banging away at it!
Terry
#12900 - 01/03/14 09:08 PM Re: THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) [Re: terry]
jeapadrenaline Offline
MBN member
thanks terry.
appearantly even with junk yard finds i cant get away from datsun. from what i understand, the rearend, along with engine/tranny and most other automotive parts are from a datsun.
the heater does throw heat when the engine is hot, but the 10 feet of heater hose does loose quite some heat, even inside a shop thats a few degrees above freezing.
not sure what all i'll get done this weekend, but i did purchase a bunch of relays with plug (pigtails) so i'll probaly wire up some lights. i was thinking maybe i'll modify the lower front of the cab a sligth bit an install a set of 4X6 low beam headlights,h i do have sitting on a shelf from another long abandoned project. figure low beams, mounted lower than windshield might be of good use if i ever get into a blizzard.
#12904 - 01/04/14 12:46 PM Re: THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) [Re: jeapadrenaline]
jeapadrenaline Offline
MBN member
back to the drawing board, so to speak.
my cab lifting jack just buckled and broke apart trying to get the cab in the up position. got 1/3 of the way up, then made a hell of a crash. ooops.
plan B comming up.... not sure what that plan is yet.
#12906 - 01/04/14 04:03 PM Re: THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) [Re: jeapadrenaline]
TAP Offline
MBN member
Loc: ND
Thats a bummer jeap.. I've use 12v linear actuators, one on each side on a similar project.
Tim
#12907 - 01/04/14 07:51 PM Re: THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) [Re: jeapadrenaline]
Lu47Dan Offline
MBN Old hand
Loc: N/W Pa. ****
Originally Posted By: jeapadrenaline
back to the drawing board, so to speak.
my cab lifting jack just buckled and broke apart trying to get the cab in the up position. got 1/3 of the way up, then made a hell of a crash. ooops.
plan B comming up.... not sure what that plan is yet.

Jeap, a small diameter long stroke cylinder with a hand pump would work for lifting the cab. I built a cylinder mount to replace a screw jack that lifted the cab of fwd control four wheel drive truck.
This was before the advent of the internet, so it took some figuring to size the cylinder and pump. The guy had the hand pump and we ended up using a cylinder off a cement mixer's chute. The screw jack;s guts ripped out and almost got him when the cab came down. We added a lock bar to the system to prevent the cab from falling in the event of a system failure.
Dan.
#12908 - 01/05/14 01:13 AM Re: THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) [Re: Lu47Dan]
Doc Offline
MBN Old hand
Loc: Beryl Jnct. SW Utah, Mdl Nowhe... ***
Jeap: Looks like Dan beat me to it. My thoughts exactly. Only might add where you can get one reasonable.

8 ton, 19.5" stroke Harbor Frieght

8 ton 24" stroke Northern tool

8 ton 24" air/hand powered Northern Tool

FWIW I've used the Harbor tool site on line recently and they have $6.99 flat shipping to US. Don't know what it would be to BC.
Doc

Edited by Doc (01/05/14 01:30 AM)
Edit Reason: add links
#12928 - 01/09/14 06:56 PM Re: THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) [Re: Doc]
jeapadrenaline Offline
MBN member
thanks guys, but at this time i jst cant see anything small enough to fit in there. its a small cab and already cramped lol. so for now its armstrong tilt, and for a limiter on the forward tilt, i shortened a seatbelt still mounted to the winder, just removed that inertia lock thing.
i didnt really do anything last weekend except i took the tracings down to the local glass shop and ordered all the windows out of 5mm lexan (1/4 inch i think). picked them up yesterday after work, and today i got currious, so i installed them after work this evening. yayy i got windows, meaning a way to keep heat in and cold and snow out. not sure what i'll be doing on the weekend, but might finally start installing marker lights and flood lights.
till later guys....
#12946 - 01/12/14 07:05 PM Re: THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) [Re: jeapadrenaline]
jeapadrenaline Offline
MBN member
well, got a whole bunch of wiring done today.
rear has two red 2" tail lights and top of cab has 16" red light bar (used to be 3rd brake light on a car) and front has 6 amber clearance lights of which the outside each corner and also one each side facing backwards can be switched to flash like a 4way flasher. then i have 2 55watt backup lights and 4 55watt forward lights all mounted on the roof. the forwards can be switched on, 2 at a time or all 4 together. they are actually only 2 housings with 2 bulbs each. i also have the interior light hooked up and the windshield wiper hooked to a switch. wiper is one speed, came from a boat. i also ran the wires for the winshield washer, but i have to get a switch for it first and figure out where to install it, not very important to get it working anyways.
i hope to take it for a drive again soon, and make another video, but..... monday is comming, and as usual the first 5 days after a weekend are the hardest.
#12998 - 01/19/14 04:05 PM Re: THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) [Re: jeapadrenaline]
jeapadrenaline Offline
MBN member
well guys, here are a couple vids showing off the lights. machine is parked in the shop still.

Page 19 of 22 < 1 2 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 >

Time
Donor Recognition 2010
Recent Posts
Mill Drill repair
by Lincoln
09:17 AM
m715 rebuild
by tom
07:09 PM
I couldn't pass it up
by GLyford