Machine Builders Network

Video Update
Slide Show
Who's Online
0 registered (), 5 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
930dreamer, b4autodark, Dwayne Oxford, Jimyd, Tigerfab
2347 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2347 Members
21 Forums
1000 Topics
17380 Posts

Max Online: 64 @ 09/04/14 12:00 AM
(Views)Popular Topics
Articulating Tractor/FEL - From Scratch 1661812
THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) 739329
trailer tounge help 576273
Tracked Backhoe 364146
Look what followed me home!!!! 320838
Shop modifications 312302
Hendey Lathe rebuild 307167
what odd jobs did you do today? 279980
andre's tractor build 240060
backhoe plans 229116
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Bug Reports
Top Posters
tom 1601
Doc 1156
Lu47Dan 1108
bunkclimber 1087
mdlawnguy 860
Business Links
Home
Enco Site Site
Ebay Site
McMaster Site
Grizzly Site
Surplus Center Site
The Farm Show
Metal Supermarket Site
Friends of MBN
tractorbynet.com Site
Miller Welding Projects Site
Page 20 of 22 < 1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 22 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#12999 - 01/19/14 04:22 PM Re: THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) [Re: jeapadrenaline]
mdlawnguy Offline
MBN Enthusiast
Loc: maryland *****
Cool lights.. wait till you get outside.. see how well they work in the snow.
#13000 - 01/19/14 06:49 PM Re: THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) [Re: jeapadrenaline]
jeapadrenaline Offline
MBN member
Loc: bc, canada
CRAP CRAP CRAP
i decided to rip around the yard a bunch tonight, and something went horribly wrong.
as i came over a frozen snow pile, the front end droped fairly hard down the other side and thats when it happened....
can you tell by these pics what went wrong???

if your guess is that maybe i bent an axle, then you are sorta right

i circled in red the piece that got bent.
#13001 - 01/19/14 06:52 PM Re: THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) [Re: mdlawnguy]
jeapadrenaline Offline
MBN member
the lights worked ok tonight, but i think if it snows heavy i will need a set of lights mounted below the windshield for any sort of visability. but i guess i wont have to worry about that for a while now, since i broke (bent) the drivetrain.
#13002 - 01/20/14 04:22 AM Re: THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) [Re: jeapadrenaline]
Lincoln Offline
MBN Enthusiast
Loc: Parry Sound Ontario Canada *****
Well that really sucks frown
Those look to be torsion axles? It's hard to tell, but is the plate bent or the spindle itself?
#13003 - 01/20/14 07:05 AM Re: THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) [Re: Lincoln]
jeapadrenaline Offline
MBN member
Yes the front is torsion axle, and by the looks of it, only the plate is bent. Either way its a pain in the rear. Hate to remove the track.
She may just become an abandoned project till I get hydrostatic parts, then start over.
#13004 - 01/20/14 01:07 PM Re: THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) [Re: jeapadrenaline]
bunkclimber Offline
MBN Old hand
Loc: Maryland *****
heat it up with a torch and bend it back.At any time you can have problems like this with a prototype vehicle.At least you didnt roll it over and bend up the cab.If I could recall every break and tweak I've had with my articulated miniloader,I'd run out of fingers.I don't give up,I just start thinking how I'm gonna rebuild it and make it better and stronger.Pull the wheel,take a step back,get a chair and beverage and analyze..you'll get it back operating again
#13006 - 01/21/14 05:26 AM Re: THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) [Re: bunkclimber]
Joey Offline
MBN member
Loc: Wabush, Labrador, Canada
no need to pull track, just pull the lug nuts (actually it looks like you have bolts) and wiggle out the tire.

pull the hub off the spindle so you don't melt your grease seal and burn up the grease, find a nice fitting pipe that won't mar up critical surfaces ,heat and bend then you are set again. if there is rubber right next to the bent plate in the axle assembly which there usually is in a torsion axle run a garden hose over it, you'd be surprised the heat rubber can take if you don't let it catch fire.
#13007 - 01/21/14 01:37 PM Re: THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) [Re: Joey]
Robman Offline
MBN member
Loc: Syracuse, Utah
All of my machines have a rough life, so when something goes wrong, I try to beef it up to prevent it happening again.
That looks like solid 3/4 x 4inch plate that bent?
I would have thought the tire would pop before bending there.
-Rob
#13008 - 01/21/14 02:13 PM Re: THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) [Re: Robman]
jeapadrenaline Offline
MBN member
Yeah I still can't believe that plate bent so easy. It was a rough ride, but it wasn't that bad. Tires have 70+ psi in them and track is very tight.
To remove that wheel I have to undo the track at he joint and then re install after.
I usually over build everything as well... Usually wayyy wayyyy to much. But this part was not built by me... Might explain the weakness lol.
#13031 - 01/25/14 04:50 PM Re: THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) [Re: jeapadrenaline]
jeapadrenaline Offline
MBN member
ok, so after a bunch of chores, i decided to tear into the beast. but i am too damn lazy to take all th steps, instead i use prybars to get the wheel off of the hub.... sucess.
remove the hub and bearings - done
OUCH - the damage looks nasty.
for anyone familiar with torque axles, you know how there is a square shaft inside a larger square tube and the gap between these two is filled with rubber. then on the end of the square shaft is attached a long-ish plate to which is attached the hub shaft. by attached i mean welded.
well, the weld between square shaft and the plate broke on 3 of 4 sides, this allowed the plate to be bent.
at least getting the plate off was easy, grind the last 1/4 of the weld and a few taps with a hammer, off she comes.
clean up the hole a bit, get rid of all old weld remnants and clean up the shaft, easy as pie.
now the hard part..... how the heck do i get that all welded back on at the right angle of dangle.... four spotwelds, a lot of measuring, a few love taps with a huge hammer.... yep, thats pretty close. now crank up the welder and weld it up good and tight. - DONE.
ooohhh ooooohhh, now how the heck do i get that wheel back on????
ummmm lets deflate all 3 tires on that side, and with dads help and 3 very long bars.... 5 feet was the shortest, we pry and bounce and wiggle and yep she is back in place.... bolt her up, inflate tires up to 60 psi and go for a drive.
it works, cant tell it was broken.

i think maybe these torque axles that where used in the build might be cheap china made pieces, the welding was done a bit cold without a V ground at the mating surfaces, and possibly not a good grade of steel was used to begin with.
i did take a few pics of the broken weld, gona have to check if they actually show anything, if so i will upload a couple later on.
#13032 - 01/25/14 05:48 PM Re: THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) [Re: jeapadrenaline]
Doc Offline
MBN Old hand
Loc: Beryl Jnct. SW Utah, Mdl Nowhe... ***
Knowing it happened on one side, you may consider the possibility of rewelding the other.... perhaps sometime when you already have the other side apart? Just a thought.
Doc
#13034 - 01/25/14 06:12 PM Re: THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) [Re: Doc]
jeapadrenaline Offline
MBN member
i was thinking that too. she will come apart for paint at some point, but by then i might have totally revamped the whole drivetrain. i am finding more and more design flaws in the whole system. snow builds up and freezes things together and no way to reach to clean it out. drive sprocket to small in relation to brakes. being disc brakes they should be inbord out of the weather or if outbord should be drum brakes. drum brakes would require vacuum booster off the engine, as another guy with an allmost identical build has found out.

my life may be taking a few apprupt turns this spring, in which case i may have to abandon the project (meaning selling it) as i may be moving way up north. in which case i already have my eyes on a SNOWTRAC that i may pick up to rebuild. not sure if that machine runs or is even near complete, just remember seeing it along a backroad in some guys yard, overgrown with brush. that was a year ago.... may have to go for a drive to check it out.
till then, i'll keep plugging away at the beast.
#13035 - 01/25/14 10:10 PM Re: THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) [Re: jeapadrenaline]
Doc Offline
MBN Old hand
The Snowtrack is a great design! Let me know if you go that way as I actually snagged a set of manuals for one. Uses a real steering wheel to steer. Uses a V.W. industrial engine, but nowadays I'd give thought to adapting in a 2.2L Subaru engine as has become real popular for bus conversions. Gives lots of power with trouble free EFI water cooled engine. Virtually NEVER have to set valves, as the Subi has hydraulic lifters. Unlike a V.W. engine which wants its valves set every three months.
Anyway, let me know if you want the manual, even just to peruse. Just PM me your email.
Doc
#13094 - 02/01/14 07:40 PM Re: THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) [Re: Doc]
jeapadrenaline Offline
MBN member
my budy had a GM power steering pump set up for remote reservoir sitting on the shelf, so i picked it up this week. turns out, the housing of that pump is a bit too big to fit inside the engine compartment due to the tub being so narrow. but i have an older style pump housing that seems to fit. i will need to modify it to make it remote reservoir. i also have a tank from a scrap yard, it has the same shape as the fuel tank, but is a lot smaller. it will fit nicely on oposite side behind exhaust and below air cleaner.
th PS pump will be used to power hydraulics. i decided to build a front blade with hydraulic tilt and lift.
so once i mod the pump housing and mod the tank and get them installed, i will start on the blade mounting and blade. for the blade i will probably use an old electric hot water tank, cut open and straightened out. i did this same thing years ago when i built a blade for my jeep. worked great.

still on the hunt for a SNOW TRAC. may take a drive tomorrow to see if i can locate the one i mentioned.
#13095 - 02/01/14 07:52 PM Re: THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) [Re: jeapadrenaline]
mdlawnguy Offline
MBN Enthusiast
Watch out for mounting that pump and fluid red.. near your exhaust.. boils fluid and could possibly burn it.. had that happen one time on tractor.. fluid blew out of the rest on to manifold.. small fire.. baking soda test..
#13096 - 02/02/14 12:39 AM Re: THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) [Re: mdlawnguy]
Doc Offline
MBN Old hand
After discovering the manual collection I have for just the SnoTrac alone is over 800MB in size, I re-tracked down the link where I got them from. A real nice collection for anybody into snowcat type vehicles.

Tracked Snow manuals

Doc
#13143 - 02/11/14 09:18 PM Re: THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) [Re: Doc]
whatisthat Offline
New in town
Loc: VT, Chittenden
hi jeap
it looks like you have come a long ways scents the last time I was on the sit. the beast looks grate. take a look at the bombi book I PM you. the front road wheels have a shock that has about 7" of travel. which will makes it come down softer and may save you a lot of pain.
#16651 - 03/20/16 01:29 AM Re: THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) [Re: FabberMcGee]
mdlawnguy Offline
MBN Enthusiast
Any updates?
#16972 - 06/04/16 05:41 PM Re: THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) [Re: mdlawnguy]
jeapadrenaline Offline
MBN member
hey guys.... long absence from the site and the beast has been parked in a shed for the last couple years I am guessing. last week I decided to tackle the track problem again.... wasted 3 days of time and labor.
I pulled and fully disassembled both tracks, spread out the guides a bit on the press and trimmed the rubber back so there is now no rubber under the wheels.
left track still walks off every time I try to steer it. right side stays put.
I need to build new drive sprockets the same with as the tires.... but there is a catch: they need to be bigger diameter to fit over the brake calipers... and I have no clue on how to do the math to figure out the size of rim I need to build to accommodate the track so the lugs mesh perfectly. I am no engineer and any sort of CAD program screws me right over... not tech savy
#16973 - 06/04/16 07:31 PM Re: THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) [Re: jeapadrenaline]
Lincoln Offline
MBN Enthusiast
Loc: Parry Sound Ontario Canada *****
Hey, great to hear from you Jeap!!
Not sure I'm much help to you with the info before me but I'm sure some of the other guys would have some excellent help and advice.

Time
Donor Recognition 2010
Recent Posts
Mill Drill repair
by Lincoln
09:17 AM
m715 rebuild
by tom
07:09 PM
I couldn't pass it up
by GLyford
11/24/16 11:44 AM