Machine Builders Network

Video Update
Slide Show
Who's Online
0 registered (), 5 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
930dreamer, b4autodark, Dwayne Oxford, Jimyd, Tigerfab
2347 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2347 Members
21 Forums
1000 Topics
17380 Posts

Max Online: 64 @ 09/04/14 12:00 AM
(Views)Popular Topics
Articulating Tractor/FEL - From Scratch 1661812
THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) 739329
trailer tounge help 576273
Tracked Backhoe 364146
Look what followed me home!!!! 320838
Shop modifications 312302
Hendey Lathe rebuild 307167
what odd jobs did you do today? 279980
andre's tractor build 240060
backhoe plans 229116
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Bug Reports
Top Posters
tom 1601
Doc 1156
Lu47Dan 1108
bunkclimber 1087
mdlawnguy 860
Business Links
Home
Enco Site Site
Ebay Site
McMaster Site
Grizzly Site
Surplus Center Site
The Farm Show
Metal Supermarket Site
Friends of MBN
tractorbynet.com Site
Miller Welding Projects Site
Page 21 of 21 < 1 2 ... 19 20 21
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#16976 - 06/05/16 10:42 AM Re: THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) [Re: Lincoln]
jeapadrenaline Offline
MBN member
Loc: bc, canada
oh I forgot to mention, the original builder/designer of the beast has seen my posts on another forum and has contacted me about it.
the beast was an extra project for a highschool kid who needed extra credits in shop class... so the teacher (designer) came up with this idea. as he did own a bombardier at the time that he could study for specifics.... eventually the project got sold to another kid (the one I got it from) whom the teacher knew would never get to finish it. the rest is history. the designer (as ill call him from now on) had gone through a hard family loss and some harsh health problems and eventually retired to Ontario, off grid living.... he now owns 2 or 3 bombardiers one of which he is rebuilding. turns out he has family living in a community next door to me, so I extended an invitation to him to come visit anytime he is in the area... hope he takes me up on that.
most parts, he confirmed, where salvaged from Datsun pickups back in the day when they where plentiful. its been 15 - 20 years since the project was started. he was pleasantly surprised to see the beast had finally resurfaced and was well and alive. his original plan was to use the 2.5 pitch roller chain to build tracks but then decided that it was going to be too heavy and expensive, as all the money spent on this was his personal cash. so when he abandoned that idea he wasn't sure how he was going to proceed and shortly after that the whole project came to a halt.... and here I am, with a bombardier type track on it that wont stay put.
hope this was a good insight for you guys, as I was very happy to hear from the designer whom I had searched for before but without knowing a name or current location nor exact old location my search was not fruitful.
thanks for following guys and please to watch my videos on my youtube channel, like and subscribe. and feel free to ask questions there as well. I am more likely prompt to reply there than I am here. sorry
I am still battling health problems and probably will be for ever, the youtube channel is an attempt to help me earn a bit of cash to try and survive... so far nowhere near enough views to even cash out. for every 100 views I might make up to 8 cents... yeah its a sad attempt but anything helps to try and buy groceries. never mind trying to get enough cash to perhaps purchase a gopro or similar action camera to help with better videos. any support is much appreciated.
a quick link to the channel here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCw3TYmI_wa65pFiu6O3X_dg
thanks guys, cheers

Edited by jeapadrenaline (06/05/16 11:17 AM)
#16980 - 06/05/16 06:28 PM Re: THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) [Re: jeapadrenaline]
Doc Offline
MBN Old hand
Loc: Beryl Jnct. SW Utah, Mdl Nowhe... ***

I'll give it a go, jeap. As to track falling off; I noticed on your pics that your wheelguides are just right angle L shapes. Actual snowcat guides have an incline on tire side of guide. This incline automatically centers bogie wheel as track runs under -or over- it.

On sprockets; measure distance front edge to front edge on your cleats (do a bunch and average number) this is your teeth pitch, like on a chain sprocket. Add up as many of these as you need to get a big enough circumference to clear your brake drum. Circumference equals diameter times pi. Now take height of sprocket teeth and add this TWICE to diameter to derive total sprocket diameter. This times pi equals sprocket circumference.
Follow?
Doc
#16982 - 06/05/16 08:46 PM Re: THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) [Re: Doc]
jeapadrenaline Offline
MBN member
doc
as to tracks yes they where straight but have now been bent outward a bit on both sides, its as much as it can go without totally rebuilding the tracks with new materials, weird thing is, no matter what I do its only the one track that likes to walk off. in winter on hard snow and ice it was never a problem. I assume the track is first of all way too aggressive for the beast and hard pack gravel and dirt combinations.

as for sprockets I think I follow you... ill have to play with it a bit maybe with plywood to mock things up till I can afford the materials to build new steel sprockets.
thanks for the insight.
#17273 - 08/04/16 11:00 PM Re: THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) [Re: jeapadrenaline]
jeapadrenaline Offline
MBN member
well guys , after wasting a lot of paper and pencil lead on drawing sprockets.... or shall I say try to. I have given up and broke down. I went and spent US $26 on a program called "sprocket template generator"... now all I need is to get more ink for the printer and print out my new sprocket.

anyways, its been long in coming.... I had to move again... too much friction in the family (I was staying at the parents farm in my RV trailer) so after moving the beast under its own power, and nearly walking it fully off the tracks a few times, I am convinced that if I make new sprockets that are the same with as the wheels, it should eliminate the problems (probably just in time to uncover more new ones).

but I haven't had a lot of time to spend on the beast lately.... just a few minutes here and there (also don't have the enthusiasm).

i'll keep ya'll updated if or when I make more progress.
thanks guys for your support.
#17275 - 08/05/16 01:31 AM Re: THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) [Re: jeapadrenaline]
Lincoln Online   bud
MBN Enthusiast
Loc: Parry Sound Ontario Canada *****
Good to hear from you Jeap.
I hear ya about keeping the enthusiasm.... crazy
#17277 - 08/05/16 03:34 AM Re: THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) [Re: Lincoln]
mdlawnguy Offline
MBN Enthusiast
Loc: maryland *****
Thanks for the update. Keep chugging along at your own pace..
#17278 - 08/05/16 09:02 AM Re: THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) [Re: mdlawnguy]
jeapadrenaline Offline
MBN member
I have been thinking for the new sprockets if I should use plastic for the contact area with the track. we have a factory in town where I believe I can get uhmw I think its called.... its that super slippery white plastic. I could reuse my original sprockets for the center as the center would still have to be steel, and I can not afford to buy 1 inch steel plate.
#17281 - 08/05/16 09:12 AM Re: THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) [Re: jeapadrenaline]
jeapadrenaline Offline
MBN member
Northern Plastics ltd. is the company.... I just looked at their website and they even make custom polyurethane sprockets. I may have to enquire upon cost.... and start saving pennies. it would probably be my best bet.
#17328 - 08/23/16 09:42 AM Re: THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) [Re: jeapadrenaline]
jeapadrenaline Offline
MBN member
if anyone is interested in finishing this project, my life just isn't playing along and I am considering in selling out and possibly walking away from civilization and go live a survival style of life out in the bush.
asking price for "the beast" is $5000 Canadian.
located in the bc interior. shuswap area. may be able to deliver if its nearby.
also have a 2009 Honda shadow 750 for sale. low km at 9088km asking $5500 Canadian.
gutted an rv a while back and have all the appliances from it available as well. they all worked when pulled. message for prices.
thanks guys
#17421 - 10/06/16 05:29 PM Re: THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) [Re: jeapadrenaline]
jeapadrenaline Offline
MBN member
hey guys
no further development has been made on the beast nor is any in the plans. I am just barely scraping by and have to keep every penny I can to get groceries and needed supplies.
haven't sold any of my stuff yet either, seems nobody has any money to part with.

on another note, those of you who visit my youtube channel regularly may have seen the last couple videos I posted.
there is a new reality tv show in development called "THE FRONTIERSMEN" and I sent in a couple casting videos about 3 weeks ago https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSEZdWaVkE2olObkI8DbEbvbcGfLAa7mE
I just received word today that my vids will be viewed along with all the others over the next few weeks and if I am chosen, I will get a Skype video request once the videos are all viewed and non desired are eliminated.

wish me luck, seems to me that this show is right up my alley and I could use a bit of good luck along with a decent income.
maybe my dream of moving up to Alaska into the middle of nowhere will come true yet. would love to move up there and live mountain men style building a homestead and live off the land, far far away from people and associated crowds.

thanks for your support and please feel free to subscribe to my channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCw3TYmI_wa65pFiu6O3X_dg and leave comments on the videos I usually answer or reply to comments within hours if not minutes lol
#17422 - 10/06/16 05:29 PM Re: THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) [Re: jeapadrenaline]
jeapadrenaline Offline
MBN member
hey guys
no further development has been made on the beast nor is any in the plans. I am just barely scraping by and have to keep every penny I can to get groceries and needed supplies.
haven't sold any of my stuff yet either, seems nobody has any money to part with.

on another note, those of you who visit my youtube channel regularly may have seen the last couple videos I posted.
there is a new reality tv show in development called "THE FRONTIERSMEN" and I sent in a couple casting videos about 3 weeks ago https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSEZdWaVkE2olObkI8DbEbvbcGfLAa7mE
I just received word today that my vids will be viewed along with all the others over the next few weeks and if I am chosen, I will get a Skype video request once the videos are all viewed and non desired are eliminated.

wish me luck, seems to me that this show is right up my alley and I could use a bit of good luck along with a decent income.
maybe my dream of moving up to Alaska into the middle of nowhere will come true yet. would love to move up there and live mountain men style building a homestead and live off the land, far far away from people and associated crowds.

thanks for your support and please feel free to subscribe to my channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCw3TYmI_wa65pFiu6O3X_dg and leave comments on the videos I usually answer or reply to comments within hours if not minutes lol
#17425 - 10/07/16 11:54 PM Re: THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) [Re: jeapadrenaline]
Doc Offline
MBN Old hand
Loc: Beryl Jnct. SW Utah, Mdl Nowhe... ***
Best of luck to you.
Doc
#17598 - 11/22/16 09:47 PM Re: THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) [Re: Doc]
jeapadrenaline Offline
MBN member
still no new development from the tv crew.... disappointed.

the beast is definitely up for grabs as are many other of my belongings. I am planning on moving hopefully by spring 2017... probably later. destination Alaska.... need to sell the beast and the bike to purchase some remote property in Alaska.

on another note, my woodstove which is featured on my youtube channel is now up for sale... a copy of it. I am taking orders now and will be starting to buil them mid December.... I have 4 orders pending as of right now. first to send down payment will be first to receive they are ordered from Yukon, Alabama, british Columbia, and missoury. yep all over the place. getting the word out and its starting to pay off I think.
main reason I decided to start building them for sale was to finance my trip to Alaska. had thought about a crowdfunding or go-fund-me but that's like begging, id rather give something in return.

if and when I get to alska I will continue to do youtube vids, so if you are interested, go to my channel and subscribe.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSEZdWaVkE2olObkI8DbEbvbcGfLAa7mE

thanks for your continued support guys,
much appreciated.
#17599 - 11/22/16 09:47 PM Re: THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) [Re: Doc]
jeapadrenaline Offline
MBN member
still no new development from the tv crew.... disappointed.

the beast is definitely up for grabs as are many other of my belongings. I am planning on moving hopefully by spring 2017... probably later. destination Alaska.... need to sell the beast and the bike to purchase some remote property in Alaska.

on another note, my woodstove which is featured on my youtube channel is now up for sale... a copy of it. I am taking orders now and will be starting to buil them mid December.... I have 4 orders pending as of right now. first to send down payment will be first to receive they are ordered from Yukon, Alabama, british Columbia, and missoury. yep all over the place. getting the word out and its starting to pay off I think.
main reason I decided to start building them for sale was to finance my trip to Alaska. had thought about a crowdfunding or go-fund-me but that's like begging, id rather give something in return.

if and when I get to alska I will continue to do youtube vids, so if you are interested, go to my channel and subscribe.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSEZdWaVkE2olObkI8DbEbvbcGfLAa7mE

thanks for your continued support guys,
much appreciated.
#17642 - 12/07/16 10:47 PM Re: THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) [Re: jeapadrenaline]
mdlawnguy Offline
MBN Enthusiast
Nice stove. I would have liked to see a over view of the stoves creation. Have you tried the double insolated pipes?
#17643 - 12/07/16 10:53 PM Re: THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) [Re: mdlawnguy]
mdlawnguy Offline
MBN Enthusiast
Crazy question.. Why would you post what guns you have ..even tell publicly what youhave? I did just subscribe to utube site.
#17644 - 12/11/16 12:07 PM Re: THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) [Re: mdlawnguy]
jeapadrenaline Offline
MBN member
I made my own insulated pipe for outside the trailer.... works great. I do have a slideshow on my youtube on how I created the stove from start to finish and will be building a few more this winter. hopefully get more footage.
as for the guns, why not.... nobody knows where I live if that's the concern.... I have 3 or 4 friends that know my location, nobody else. and some of my guns are truly unique.... who else owns an original 1887 Winchester 10 gauge built in 1895?
plus they are all under double or triple lock as per Canadian regulations which calls for single lock. good luck getting them even if you do find where I live.
thanks for subscribing.
#17645 - 12/11/16 12:08 PM Re: THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) [Re: mdlawnguy]
jeapadrenaline Offline
MBN member
I made my own insulated pipe for outside the trailer.... works great. I do have a slideshow on my youtube on how I created the stove from start to finish and will be building a few more this winter. hopefully get more footage.
as for the guns, why not.... nobody knows where I live if that's the concern.... I have 3 or 4 friends that know my location, nobody else. and some of my guns are truly unique.... who else owns an original 1887 Winchester 10 gauge built in 1895?
plus they are all under double or triple lock as per Canadian regulations which calls for single lock. good luck getting them even if you do find where I live.
thanks for subscribing.
Page 21 of 21 < 1 2 ... 19 20 21

Time
Donor Recognition 2010
Recent Posts
Mill Drill repair
by Lincoln
09:17 AM
m715 rebuild
by tom
07:09 PM
I couldn't pass it up