Machine Builders Network

Video Update
Slide Show
Who's Online
0 registered (), 5 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
930dreamer, b4autodark, Dwayne Oxford, Jimyd, Tigerfab
2347 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2347 Members
21 Forums
1000 Topics
17380 Posts

Max Online: 64 @ 09/04/14 12:00 AM
(Views)Popular Topics
Articulating Tractor/FEL - From Scratch 1661812
THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) 739329
trailer tounge help 576273
Tracked Backhoe 364146
Look what followed me home!!!! 320838
Shop modifications 312302
Hendey Lathe rebuild 307167
what odd jobs did you do today? 279980
andre's tractor build 240060
backhoe plans 229116
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Bug Reports
Top Posters
tom 1601
Doc 1156
Lu47Dan 1108
bunkclimber 1087
mdlawnguy 860
Business Links
Home
Enco Site Site
Ebay Site
McMaster Site
Grizzly Site
Surplus Center Site
The Farm Show
Metal Supermarket Site
Friends of MBN
tractorbynet.com Site
Miller Welding Projects Site
Page 11 of 11 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#18269 - 11/14/18 11:26 AM Re: Shop modifications [Re: Lu47Dan]
Lu47Dan Online   content
MBN Old hand
Loc: N/W Pa. ****
Well since the last post, I have managed to get the south side of the shop cleaned up, the IH dump truck moved and one bad spot in the southern roof patched up.
I have picked up the steel roofing panels 5ea,for the south side, the residential ridge 4ea, the gutter apron 2ea, and the universal ridge cap 2ea, from an Amish steel roofing dealer. Saved about $100 buying from them. I also picked up 1" & 1-1/2"screws (250 each size),the stitch screws have to be ordered from another place, 250 of them should be enough.
One more trip to them for the north side of the roof.
Iam going to gut the interior of the shop, mske sure the structure is dried out snd then treat for mold. Insulate the ceiling joists and then add 1-1/2" board insulation under the fiberglass, sheet with steel siding and than install the new wiring. Everything will be in EMT conduit, no wiring will be buried in the wall or ceiling framing.
Another thing I want to fo is improve the boiler room insulation, it was sheet fiberglass a friend gave me. But the mice got into it, the roof leak did not help either.
I am going to use steel siding on the exterior, stud out the interior walls, insulate with mineral wool, cover that with steel siding and then rebuild the siding door,insulate it and than use 18ga galvinized steel sheet to cover the inside of the door.
Once I have the roof sealed up, I will start a mouse feeding program. The feed will be Tomcat mouse bait, I will keep the bait stations out until I see on evidence of mice around the shop or the chicken coop. Does not make sense to put out bsit that will get wet and go bad before the mice find it.
Dan.
#18274 - 11/18/18 08:12 AM Re: Shop modifications [Re: Lu47Dan]
Lu47Dan Online   content
MBN Old hand
Just a quick update, going for the second load of steel roofing this week, will be getting a couple extra sheets to build a door and cover the sliding door on the boiler room.
Might use the leftover residential rake trim to frame the door with.
Dan.
#18275 - 11/18/18 12:43 PM Re: Shop modifications [Re: Lu47Dan]
sonny Online   content
MBN member
Loc: Illinois USA *****
It takes lot's of time/money to work on buildings!--We use Tomcat mouse bait here, seams to be the only thing that works. Currently have major fall/winter invasion of rodents here!
The roof caps is where the rain/snow will get into the center of the sheds. I have that problem with mine!
#18276 - 11/18/18 01:16 PM Re: Shop modifications [Re: sonny]
Lu47Dan Online   content
MBN Old hand
Yep, buildings can suck up every extra nickle, dime and penny you have.
The snow infiltration problem, I hope to cure with the closures, my one buddy used them on his new roof last summer (17), and did not find any wayward snow in the attic of his garage last winter.
I looked at about every major brand of rodent bait to see what was what with them. Tomcat seems to the best, can use it outside, in buildings and around pets. So it gets a try here. Get the mice under control,than keep a maintenance supply out year round.
Dan.
#18280 - 11/23/18 02:49 PM Re: Shop modifications [Re: Lu47Dan]
Lu47Dan Online   content
MBN Old hand
Went and got the rest of roof panels, last Tuesday. Got five 14' panels, two more pieces of gutter apron, and another 250 1-1/2" screws. Now all that is left to get is the 2 X4's for the purlins, the stitch screws, the #10 X 3-1/8"RSS screws(340ea.) and a few other minor parts and pieces.
Then once everything is here, I can start stripping the old shingles off the roof.
Dan
#18281 - 11/24/18 09:39 AM Re: Shop modifications [Re: Lu47Dan]
sonny Online   content
MBN member
Making good progress there !!! -- I think that you will be happy with Tom-cat! thanks; sonny
#18282 - 11/24/18 10:14 AM Re: Shop modifications [Re: sonny]
Lu47Dan Online   content
MBN Old hand
Thanks, sonny.
I have talked to various people using a few different brands of bait, most were happy with Just One Bite, Decon, a few others that were locally available. But a few had the same problem I am up against, the mice quit taking the bait. I bought new J.O.B. back in August, and it has still not been consumed. I replaced the last of the bait I put out in August, this morning, as I have noticed that the field mice are starting to come into the shop and trying to get into the coop and storage trailer. Betty (my cat) whittles them fown pretty good, but cannot get the ones in the shop or inside the coop and storage trailer. So it is time to change the brand of bait.
About ten years (maybe longer) ago, my neighbors and I did an aggresive bating program to try and eliminate the Norway Rat infestation we had here, we never knew where they came from but were numerous. If I rememder right we spent $1500 on bait and professional assistance. But we do not see any evidence of them any more. It was worth the effort as now we do not have to keep all the different pet feeds and livestock feeds in steel garbage cans.
I hate rats, but can put up eith a few mice outside the house. Get rid of the mice and Betty can concentrate on the chipmunks and red squirrels. grin
Dan.
#18283 - 11/25/18 10:49 AM Re: Shop modifications [Re: Lu47Dan]
sonny Online   content
MBN member
field mice have begun their winter invasion here, and it't the worst ever!--only have two cats left, ( coyotes killed the rest) and the two do get mice, chipmunks, and the other day 1 of them killed a full grown rabbit! She is a small cat and the rabbit was as big as her. she came dragging it across the yard, killed it and took 3 days for her to eat all of it. Cats for the most part are the best exterminators but can only work so fast. Mice on the other hand can produce 1,800 offspring in 1 year! thanks; sonny
#18284 - 12/03/18 01:49 PM Re: Shop modifications [Re: sonny]
Lu47Dan Online   content
MBN Old hand
Fricking Rackity-coons came back,at least one found the way into the attic above the shop. mad
I discovered this fact on Saturday night while doing my final checks before heading to bed. I walked around the back of the house and happened to look up at the door to the attic above the shop and spotted a pair of eyes looking at me. I froze and moved back around the corner of the house, went and got my .22 Win. Mag.. For the next two hours I played cat and mouse with it. I gave up and went to bed.
Sunday morning I opened the door and checked to see if it was still in there. I could not see it. So I set about closing the gap above the door to prevent any critter from gaining entrance to the attic space. I used some pieces of steel roofing panels leftover from a job somewhere. Cut them to fit the angle of the gable end. Then screwed them to the face of the door, this closed the gap.
I set the live trap, baited with catfood. I will check the trap later today.
Dan.
#18285 - 12/04/18 11:24 AM Re: Shop modifications [Re: Lu47Dan]
Lu47Dan Online   content
MBN Old hand
No rackity-coon in the live trap, but I am going to leave in there just in case it gets back in some way I have not discovered. Picked up some of the materials today after work. Will make a lumber run after 5 tonight.
Might be able to start stripping the South roof tomorrow, if the weather holds. confused
Dan.
#18286 - 12/04/18 06:37 PM Re: Shop modifications [Re: Lu47Dan]
sonny Online   content
MBN member
coons are also hunting for a place to hibernate for the winter!--Still have 1 messing around here now and then.Leave the trap set and see what happens!---It may make another hole in the wall!! thanks; sonny
#18287 - 12/05/18 10:26 AM Re: Shop modifications [Re: sonny]
Lu47Dan Online   content
MBN Old hand
Yep, Sonny, the trap will stay in there until I am sure it has left the A.O. Once I have replacedbthe roof and the door, I will pull the trap out of there.
I ordered a set of two batteries for my Craftsman 19.2V battery tools. They are not Nicad, they are Ni-Mh. They have a higher amp/hr rating than the stock batteries do, so they should last longer than the OEM batteries.
I will post up a tool review in a seperate thread.
Dan.

Edited by Lu47Dan (12/05/18 10:30 AM)
#18288 - 12/06/18 02:41 AM Re: Shop modifications [Re: Lu47Dan]
GLyford Offline
MBN member
Loc: central MA
So far I have had good results with Nimh "clone" batteries for my old b&d drills...
#18289 - 12/06/18 10:44 AM Re: Shop modifications [Re: GLyford]
sonny Online   content
MBN member
The cordless tools are kinda handy!--I was given a "well used" chraftsman 18-v variable speed drill and I use it a lot. This thing is very old and I am sure the batts. are weak but I still use it. thanks; sonny
#18290 - 12/06/18 11:48 AM Re: Shop modifications [Re: sonny]
Lu47Dan Online   content
MBN Old hand
What really surprised me was that they showed up yesterday, the tracking onfo had them arriving today. Came USPS, that was why I was surprised.
Today, I am going to run some temporary piping on the backhoe, so I can move it to it's winter resting place. Might even take the loader frame off the tractor also. Will make it easier to got out into the woods for the rest of the winter.
I might finish fixing one of my light stands, it needs a little work on the wiring.
Dan.
#18291 - Today at 06:43 AM Re: Shop modifications [Re: GLyford]
JimC Offline
MBN Enthusiast
Loc: Virginia U.S.A.
Ill have to look into that. I retired my B&D tools because the batteries Sucked compared to the new Ryobi stuff. Love the cordless stuff for quick fixes but still rely on electric & pneumatic tools for big projects
#18292 - Today at 07:33 AM Re: Shop modifications [Re: JimC]
Lu47Dan Online   content
MBN Old hand
The ones I bought were on Amazon. I searched for Craftsman 19.2 batteries. There's a slew of them on there for various brands.
So far I like them. Used them a little over the weekend.
Dan.
Page 11 of 11 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11

Time
Donor Recognition 2010
Recent Posts
Mill Drill repair
by Lincoln
09:17 AM
m715 rebuild
by tom
07:09 PM
I couldn't pass it up