Machine Builders Network

Video Update
Slide Show
Who's Online
0 registered (), 0 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
malodin, North Country, Canam1, mrbracket, Stevensg56
1949 Registered Users
Forum Stats
1950 Members
21 Forums
821 Topics
13273 Posts

Max Online: 57 @ 04/09/14 04:00 AM
(Views)Popular Topics
Articulating Tractor/FEL - From Scratch 529226
THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) 174152
trailer tounge help 171305
Tracked Backhoe 155296
Shop modifications 118675
andre's tractor build 106279
What did you build lately? 100887
Hendey Lathe rebuild 89491
Look what followed me home!!!! 88756
Building a wood splitter 84584
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Bug Reports
Top Posters
tom 1140
Lu47Dan 867
Doc 832
bunkclimber 704
mdlawnguy 699
Business Links
Home
Enco Site Site
Ebay Site
McMaster Site
Grizzly Site
Surplus Center Site
The Farm Show
Metal Supermarket Site
Friends of MBN
tractorbynet.com Site
Miller Welding Projects Site
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#3111 - 01/20/11 10:50 AM Making Wood Shavings
GEB Offline
New in town
Any ideals on the easiest way to make wood shavings. They are getting expensive and I have a source of scrap wood and also some small pine logs. I could probably get buy with just grinding the would like a chipper but the end product would have to be much smaller, no pieces over 1/2 inch. Just thinking but your insight and help would be nice. Thanx GEB
#3112 - 01/20/11 12:09 PM Re: Making Wood Shavings [Re: GEB]
FabberMcGee Offline
MBN member
Loc: Fairbanks, Alaska
GEB, you didn't say what quantity you need, but when I'm wanting some wood shavings I just use my jointer. It's a pretty slow process if you need a lot, but will easily make a bucketful in a few minutes. If you need small sized chips make shallow cuts across the end grain. If you don't have a jointer, there are lots of used Chinese ones around pretty cheap. I don't know what you plan to use them for, but I have a litter of pups around here now and then and throw wood shavings in the pen to soak up all the mess. It makes for easy clean up.
#3127 - 01/20/11 09:27 PM Re: Making Wood Shavings [Re: FabberMcGee]
Doc Offline
MBN Enthusiast
Loc: Beryl Jnct. SW Utah, Mdl Nowhe... *
I agree. NOTHING makes wood chips like a jointer, or better yet a surface planer. My Dewalt 735 will leave me ankle deep in them in a days puttering around woodworking. But beware of running scrapwood over either a jointer or through a surface planer without using a metal detector to look for nails and screws. Also run a belt sander over old wood first to take off surface grit. Both metal and grit just eat expensive blades!
Doc
#3129 - 01/20/11 09:31 PM Re: Making Wood Shavings [Re: Doc]
f350ca Offline
MBN member
Loc: Calabogie Ontario Canada *****
Please come to my shop and haul some away. In the summer I can give them away to gardeners and such but in the winter I end up hauling them to the dump.
#3131 - 01/20/11 09:58 PM Re: Making Wood Shavings [Re: f350ca]
Doc Offline
MBN Enthusiast
No woodburning stove in the shop, Greg?
crazy

Doc
#3133 - 01/21/11 03:50 AM Re: Making Wood Shavings [Re: Doc]
Maurice Offline
MBN member
Loc: Franklin, Indiana, USA
a couple of years ago on the old MBN site, a guy posted a question similar to this. After some mystery of why, and some discusisons of how, he told us he is (was at the time) a manager at WoodMizer and they were developing a sawdust burner boiler to make use of sawdust from their wood mills. Then he linked us to a discussion on Forestry Forum. I only have a couple minutes now, but I can try to search for it later.
#3134 - 01/21/11 06:52 AM Re: Making Wood Shavings [Re: Maurice]
f350ca Offline
MBN member
Loc: Calabogie Ontario Canada *****
I have a wood fired boiler that heats the house and shop but its forced down draft. The shavings would get sucked down against the grate and either plug it or get drawn through the boiler and out the stack burning. All my cutoffs go through it though, kiln dried wood gives a good heat.
#3140 - 01/21/11 11:23 AM Re: Making Wood Shavings [Re: f350ca]
mdlawnguy Offline
MBN Enthusiast
Loc: maryland *****
the one thing we used to do with the shavings and saw dust is shovel only a scoop (3qt plastic)or two ontop of a bed of hot coals.. exp if you get them alittle wet they burn nicely without clogging the grate.. if you find apple makes your shop smell like a kitchen.. apple pies and cookies..
#3152 - 01/22/11 04:52 AM Re: Making Wood Shavings [Re: mdlawnguy]
Maurice Offline
MBN member
Here is the link for the forestry forum I mentioned
http://www.forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,23473.0.html
near the bottom of page 4, bioman (woodmizer mgr) talks about turning slabs of wood into sawdust. 30 some pages.

I looked and searched, I'm not finding the thread on MBN that the woodmizer manager came here to ask about grinding wood into sawdust.

GEB, And as usual, MBN members are curious as to what your project is!
#3154 - 01/22/11 05:36 AM Re: Making Wood Shavings [Re: Maurice]
Doc Offline
MBN Enthusiast
Yeah, and I guess maybe we got a little off topic again... as happens here when we start chattin. Getting back to the original question. Perhaps the CHEAPEST way to go about making a lot of woodchips, would be with something like this:
HF Electric Hand Plane
I've got an earlier version that is absolutely worthless as a hand planer, but I seem to recall it did make a lot of chips. If you specifically need to limit chip size, make a series of shallow crosscuts on your boards set to your chip size limit then run the hand power planer to peel off a bunch of chips. Woodgrain should angle TOWARDS the direction you are planing (cut >- grain >^) or your blade will dig chunks instead og shavings.
Doc
#3163 - 01/22/11 12:25 PM Re: Making Wood Shavings [Re: Doc]
terry Offline
MBN member
Loc: Landrum,SC ****
I wonder if you could wrap a long length of chainsaw chain in a spiral around a drum and spin it, feeding from the top with a chute or hopper. Entry into the cut could be just over center so kickback wouldn't be a problem and be self feeding...never broke a chainsaw chain so I'm not so sure how easy they come apart. Standard chain breaker work on them?
T
#3165 - 01/22/11 06:17 PM Re: Making Wood Shavings [Re: terry]
Doc Offline
MBN Enthusiast
Don't know about the chain breaker.... But thanks for bringing that up as it reminded me of a viscious little bowl carving accessory I bought for my hand grinder. It is two steel disks punched with grinder hub hole that have a cute little circular piece of chainsaw blade clamped between them. Result is a little round electric chainsaw. I use mine as a debarker to cleanup slabs cut by my chainsaw mill before I run them through my surface planer.
14 tooth Course Lancelot grinder blade
22 tooth fine Lancelot grinder blade

Added to a HF hand grinder and thing is downright viscious about wanting to cut something! Heavy leather chaps, gloves and full face eye protection recomended.
Doc
#3179 - 01/23/11 08:01 PM Re: Making Wood Shavings [Re: Doc]
GEB Offline
New in town
Thanx guys for the response. I should have made myself clear. We currently use shavings for our horses and this time of year we use app 5 cubic yards every 6-8 days. Cerainly I am looking a way to supply myself and maybe profit from some also. Thanx again.
#3180 - 01/23/11 08:30 PM Re: Making Wood Shavings [Re: GEB]
terry Offline
MBN member
Loc: Landrum,SC ****
Well why didn't you say so! Just kidding! In a real DUH! type of moment, the thought occurred.....ask your local stump grinding businesses for their waste. Most of the time they have to try to dispose of the stuff, they might even deliver!
That drum wrapped with chainsaw chain would still work if the drum was about 18-24 inches in diameter. The RPM's could be slowed down because the surface feet per minute would go up. Just drop some hunks of stumps in there and let them grind! Keep your fingers and toes clear though!
T
#3185 - 01/24/11 04:57 AM Re: Making Wood Shavings [Re: terry]
Maurice Offline
MBN member
Are you looking for fine sawdust (such as made by a table saw), coarse sawdust (such as made by a chainsaw), slivers of sawdust (such as a stumpgrinder), or flaky shavings (such as a wood planer makes)? Or will any of these work? Your answer might help us come up with better ideas. YOu probably already see that we like a challenge!
#3186 - 01/24/11 05:54 AM Re: Making Wood Shavings [Re: Maurice]
mdlawnguy Offline
MBN Enthusiast
well the only problem is if the guy does the grindings correctly you will have dirt from the surounding areas mixed with them.. true stump removal.. do you have any truss plants in the area? we have several of them and they have to pay for dumpsters to get rid of the waste.. i was thinking about hauling for them but.. cant burn that much "waste wood"
#3188 - 01/24/11 09:26 AM Re: Making Wood Shavings [Re: mdlawnguy]
Andrew Offline
MBN member
Loc: Merrickville, Ontario
When I had the cows in the barn I got sawdust from the local truss plant. It had little chunks of wood that it was best to pick out, as they could get caught in a hoof. Apparently someone was getting it for horses but there was some scare about it being bad for them (sorry I forget the details, it was a few years ago).

FWIW. Andrew
#3189 - 01/24/11 10:13 AM Re: Making Wood Shavings [Re: mdlawnguy]
Andrew Offline
MBN member
Loc: Merrickville, Ontario
When I had the cows in the barn I got sawdust from the local truss plant. It had little chunks of wood that it was best to pick out, as they could get caught in a hoof. Apparently someone was getting it for horses but there was some scare about it being bad for them (sorry I forget the details, it was a few years ago).

FWIW. Andrew
#3190 - 01/24/11 06:21 PM Re: Making Wood Shavings [Re: Andrew]
mdlawnguy Offline
MBN Enthusiast
only problem i can remember something dangerous about is treated & laminated wood. for a "easy" sort you can run it through 1/4 minus screen to get the larger chunks out. though there will be some splinters that still fall through..

Time
Donor Recognition 2010
Recent Posts
trailer tounge help
by GLyford
redoing the hydraulic tank
by tom
10:32 PM
Newbie to Forum
by Gator
07:13 PM
PVC OSMOCOTE FERTILIZER APPLICATOR-HELP