Machine Builders Network

Video Update
Slide Show
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1 Guest and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mogens, NormBourne, JPeer, Donn-d, jimflimbo
2005 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2005 Members
21 Forums
852 Topics
13792 Posts

Max Online: 57 @ 04/09/14 04:00 AM
(Views)Popular Topics
Articulating Tractor/FEL - From Scratch 676717
THE BEAST (tracked personal vehicle) 241270
trailer tounge help 227780
Tracked Backhoe 184938
Shop modifications 145933
andre's tractor build 127365
What did you build lately? 119986
Hendey Lathe rebuild 117381
Look what followed me home!!!! 110253
Building a wood splitter 101156
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Bug Reports
Top Posters
tom 1207
Lu47Dan 877
Doc 871
bunkclimber 753
mdlawnguy 724
Business Links
Home
Enco Site Site
Ebay Site
McMaster Site
Grizzly Site
Surplus Center Site
The Farm Show
Metal Supermarket Site
Friends of MBN
tractorbynet.com Site
Miller Welding Projects Site
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#5351 - 09/29/11 03:42 PM articulated loader mast pin mount refit
bunkclimber Offline
MBN Enthusiast
Loc: Maryland *****
built this artic mini-loader in detail on the old Machine Builders page,the thread didnt pass over but here I revisit it,in its broken,post tested state..(ok,it wasn't that bad)We were cutting wood for firewood last season and kinda pushed it beyond it's capabilities a bit..tried to lift red oak about 3000lbs worth,and broke the upper mast lift cylinder mounts right off the mast.(in the photo the log was being held by the other forklift after the breakage-testing?)I will admit the mounts were only tack welded(i never got back to finishing the job-wooops)when it broke free it twisted the steel support upwards,but I got lucky and it didnt bend the cyl rods.

So we just finished the firewood job with the other forklift and put the mini artic loader up for the season..didnt get back to it for a while.After a couple days work I finished the refit last evening.Cut the old mounts and refit a section of 6"pipe(1/2"wall)and remade new mounts for the lift cylinders.The old tilt cylinder was leaking bad(it was an old used cylinder-worn out when I got it) so I purchased a new surplus one from Surplus Center..2.5"bore works nicely with good rackback digging power.In the other post I was going to do a Z-bar linkage to auto-level the bucket/forks but ran into too many problems and ran out of time,so we went back to fixed tilt cylinder mounting like we had before.In the below photos the upper lift cyl pins are held in the mounts with welds,if I ever need to pull them out I'll just cut the welds off the pins and pull them out.
Can't believe the loader wasnt torn up worse with the stupid mistake of not finishing welds.At least no one got hurt.

#5354 - 09/29/11 10:57 PM Re: articulated loader mast pin mount refit [Re: bunkclimber]
tom Offline
MBN Old hand
Loc: kodiak alaska *****
bunkclimber I was wondering why you replaced the cylinder instead of rebuilding it.
#5355 - 09/30/11 03:02 AM Re: articulated loader mast pin mount refit [Re: tom]
bunkclimber Offline
MBN Enthusiast
old tilt cylinder was just plain worn out.25yrs old,rod pitted at end where it sat for years before I got it.Gland seals leaking bad,ports were stripped before I got it so I welded on two shopmade 1/2"pipe ports which caused me to have to use swivels on the hose ends.The new cyl was $80 from surplus center-easy solution..for a super handy machine like it is,I figured it was worth it.I also cleaned up the loader valve area with o-ring to JIC 90deg extension fittings,it lets the hoses from the loadervalve drop down straight into the floor instead of the clusterf#$k that was there before with 45's and 90's to get the hoses to clear.I do have a Kubota ROPS bar to install on this little bugger over the winter,and have to come up with a muffler heat shield for the hydro pump,and put the lights back on it for night-time ops.On an experimental machine,you always have someting to fix or improve.The z-bar bucket leveling linkage woulda worked,easy to design and build-I just ran out of time and patience,and this was tying up the whole shop.For now it works pretty good.
#5357 - 09/30/11 06:15 AM Re: articulated loader mast pin mount refit [Re: bunkclimber]
GLyford Online   content
MBN member
Loc: central MA
Would you mind stepping back a dozen steps or so and grabbing an overall shot for us? It looks like a very nice machine. cool
#5358 - 09/30/11 10:57 AM Re: articulated loader mast pin mount refit [Re: GLyford]
tom Offline
MBN Old hand
stripped out port would have made me replace it to. I run into a lot of people that change out rams just because they leak or have pitted rods.
#5359 - 09/30/11 11:52 AM Re: articulated loader mast pin mount refit [Re: tom]
bunkclimber Offline
MBN Enthusiast
tom,I'm all for rebuilding..but it was just easier for me to replace the whole thing..elsewise I gotta run into Baltimore to get cyl parts,all day trip on the road..easier to just get a whole new cyl,and I went from 2"bore up to 2.5"bore with the new one.Never hurts to splurge once in a while.
2.5" bucket tilt cylinder
#5360 - 09/30/11 11:55 AM Re: articulated loader mast pin mount refit [Re: bunkclimber]
bunkclimber Offline
MBN Enthusiast
GLyford for you
#5362 - 09/30/11 04:11 PM Re: articulated loader mast pin mount refit [Re: bunkclimber]
GLyford Online   content
MBN member
Loc: central MA
Thanks!
#5364 - 09/30/11 10:38 PM Re: articulated loader mast pin mount refit [Re: GLyford]
tom Offline
MBN Old hand
an all day drive for parts at the price of gas it would be cheaper to replace the ram. in my little world it is 3 miles to two hydraulic shops and 3 miles to the metal shop.
#5370 - 10/01/11 10:14 AM Re: articulated loader mast pin mount refit [Re: tom]
FabberMcGee Offline
MBN member
Loc: Fairbanks, Alaska
That's a handsome little machine, what are the axles from?
#5371 - 10/01/11 02:04 PM Re: articulated loader mast pin mount refit [Re: FabberMcGee]
bunkclimber Offline
MBN Enthusiast
axles are Dana 44 30spline from rear of International Scout 2's chopped widthwise to 48"; tang and notch cut,welded with 110K rod..loaded with 4.11 gears,trac-lok limited slip diff in front and spool in rear axle.All used parts.Transfer case is Suzuki Samm powered by Charlynn 28cu/in hyd motor
#5379 - 10/02/11 10:48 AM Re: articulated loader mast pin mount refit [Re: bunkclimber]
FabberMcGee Offline
MBN member
Seems like an articulated machine with a spool at one end and posi at the other would have to drag a tire when you turn short. does it have a differential in the transfer case?
#5381 - 10/02/11 12:00 PM Re: articulated loader mast pin mount refit [Re: FabberMcGee]
SteveC (NS) Online   content
MBN member
Loc: Kentville, Nova Scotia, Canada
I'm with you Fab. he sorta lost me on"trac-lok limited slip diff in front and spool in rear axle".
Bunk, could you say that in geezer for me?
#5382 - 10/02/11 12:47 PM Re: articulated loader mast pin mount refit [Re: SteveC (NS)]
bunkclimber Offline
MBN Enthusiast
Steve,the only geezer I know of plays bass for the band Black Sabbath.I'm not getting any younger,either if it makes ya feel any better,but here's the beef on the diff's as asked for.No differential in the transfer case,just normal 2wd,Neutral,4Hi+4Lo.The front axle has a limited slip differential center;the axle shafts are coupled together with a spring-loaded clutch pack inside the center of the differential.This gives greater traction in loose mud or sand but normal axle turning ability on hard pack ground or pavement,the clutch pack 'slips' a bit and lets the axles give in relation to one another.
The photo below has the 'trac-lock' limited slip differential on the left,the standard open differential on the right.These go in the center section of the axle and divide the power from the driveshaft to the wheels.The one on the left has the clutch packs inside under the smaller inner gears..

The spool in the rear axle means the shafts are locked together solid with no differential action between wheels.I said 'spool'so most folks would understand,actually it's a 'quick-lock'device which replaces the spider center gears(see them above on the right) in the diff with splined blocks of steel which locks both axle shafts together.The Quick-Lock was the cheap way out to get more traction with the machine..there are 'Air-locker' differentials out for the off-road folks that use compressed air to 'lock'the diff for traction and by the flip of a switch,unlock for normal driving..I couldnt afford the $500 an axle to do that,so the $50 quick-lock worked pretty good,and cleaner than welding the gears up solid like the demolition derby guys do.

Yes it does drag the rear wheels when turning hard,no big deal for the machine to drag a wheel,has plenty of steering pressure.If you move either direction when turning the drag isn't really noticeable.In the last pic the rear axle is being mounted to the frame,after I did this there are 'follow blocks' which are welded to the unpainted frame section to limit the axle articulation and keep the axle from twisting free of the custom 4140 steel,1-1/2"bolt that holds it all together.If I could build it again i'd have used Dana60 or GM Corporate 14bolt 8-lug axles and put the spool in the front where most of the weight is when operating.For the most part it works pretty good as it is.
#5386 - 10/03/11 06:24 AM Re: articulated loader mast pin mount refit [Re: bunkclimber]
SteveC (NS) Online   content
MBN member
Loc: Kentville, Nova Scotia, Canada
Thanks Bunk, I was wondering about the turning thing with the locked diff.
#5388 - 10/03/11 08:27 AM Re: articulated loader mast pin mount refit [Re: SteveC (NS)]
bunkclimber Offline
MBN Enthusiast
yeah,it tears the grass up a little bit,but most of the time not too bad.I just did some fill dirt work with it(when I took GLyford's overall photo)and can't really notice any turf damage where I used it.
#5390 - 10/03/11 10:47 PM Re: articulated loader mast pin mount refit [Re: bunkclimber]
FabberMcGee Offline
MBN member
I figured it had to be dragging a wheel, but apparently that's acceptable. How big are your tires? Nice job on the pivot. Looks like it really beefs up the housing too.
#5575 - 10/22/11 05:40 PM Re: articulated loader mast pin mount refit [Re: FabberMcGee]
Gator Offline
MBN Enthusiast
Loc: Corinth, MS *****
Bunkclimber
Can you post some pictures of your machine fully articulated. I want to see specifically the drive shaft that crosses the pivot and how you handle the angle. At the moment I am planning to make a custom drive shaft with one end having a tractor PTO universal and a standard truck one on the other side. My transmission end will be almost centered under the pivot so the the universal will have to bend at 45 degrees. The tractor universal is the only reasonably priced thing I could find to fix this problem.
#5587 - 10/23/11 07:49 AM Re: articulated loader mast pin mount refit [Re: Gator]
bunkclimber Offline
MBN Enthusiast
gator the artic hinge centerline is just a little bit forward of the u-joint between machine halves..about 1/2inch or so,doesnt really impede the steer angle..the design of the u-joint itself is what limits articulation..I was gonna use a CV joint on that shaft joint,there are Suzuki Samurai CV driveshafts,they are getting hard to find these days.I could graft in a bigger CV off another vehicle to make it steer tighter,I used the Suzuki shafts because I had a pile of them when I bought the transfer case(came with it)--but for now it works good for what I need it for.
#6404 - 12/17/11 09:42 AM Re: articulated loader mast pin mount refit [Re: bunkclimber]
Randolph Ruckus Offline
MBN member
Excellent build. My friend built an articulated loader much the same way using a auto 4 cylinder engine trans. Had ample power and the automatic was a joy to operate. Thanks for the build pictures.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Time
Donor Recognition 2010
Recent Posts
new tractor
by mdlawnguy
05:07 PM
Articulating Tractor/FEL - From Scratch
by Gator
02:25 PM
Cadtrac brakes, lines, and cavitation
by JBVA